So I think I'm going to do this post a little different, and kind of present a time-line of events if you will, because I think that will put things in a better perspective. So here goes, and please forgive me as my memory is not what it should be, so somethings, may be off.
- Jan 8, 2019 Fiance' Friend comes to town to help out for the week as new baby will be born
- Jan. 9, 2019 New Life happens and my baby-girl is thrust into world. We all love Naomi!
- Jan. 11, 2019 Fiance mother comes to town to help. (Love GranMa, no issues so don't even think about stirring the pot--lol)
- *Note both my parents are deceased
- Jan 12, 2019 Baby and Mom come home, Friend leaves, GranMa still there. Big ole happy family!
- Jan 18, 2019 GranMa leaves
- Jan 21th- Feb. 4th off from both jobs
- Had a great time with my family, realized just how much Moms do! Big Shout Out to Stay At Home Moms!!
- Got reacquainted with my 1st born, now 1.75 years old! She is either on and going, or off, down and sleep!
- Jan 30th Received call from Vice Principal; was told my contract for next year would not be renewed and that my position for next year would not be available. Essentially told I would not have a job for next fall.
- So this is a three-fold event:
- 1. This is my second job, that I have at a school. Of the jobs I have/had this is the lesser paying one
- 2. I still have/will have checks coming in through July. But I knew waiting all winter to try and get a job during spring and/or the summer is pretty iffy
- 3. Didn't really enjoy the rest of the time off because now I'm stressing about needing to find additional employment for supplemental income
- So I'm like damn how you get fired on like, paternity leave?? Can a black man get a break?? Could the timing be any worse.
- Feb. 1st--Starts applying to jobs
- Feb 2nd Back to work at the hospital (Schedule is Tu-Sat) easy shift, and easy way to ease back into things.
- Also co-workers were super supportive and loving!! They showered little Naomi and family with gifts! Love my hospital co-workers!!
- Feb 4th back at the school, also back grinding. Continues grinding put in several applications for positions. A brotha like me don't wait around. Got two kids--'gotta keep the heat and lights on!'
- Gets word from counselor, that someone emailed her, because she's my reference (Also a damn good counselor, also a damn good friend!!)
- Week of Feb. 4th just hella emotional. Didn't want to be at the school, but I'm a man dammit, so we grind it out.
- Feb 5th I received an email in regards to application--They want a phone interview, and I'm like hells yeah let's do it tomorrow!
- *But it's weird because it's not the same company who asked my co-worker/supervisor for a reference
- Feb 6th I get another email from a third company in regards to my resume, and they want to do a phone interview on the 7th. So at this point I'm all in.
- My phone interview with the 1st company went well. I had a second interview with another company set for the 7th. Then I received a call from the company the counselor talked to and they said they wanted to interview me.
- By the end of the week I had face to face interviews scheduled for the 11th and the 14th. (One on the 11th, with a different school district, two on the 14th with different non-profits)
- Feb 11th interview with the school district went real well. I felt there was a connection, but wasn't sure.
- Feb 12th GranPa comes (still no issues, love GranPa, and still don't even think about stirring the pot--lol)
- He and fiance were able to get a lot done for our house, and it's always good to catch up with GranPa
- Feb 14th Valentines Day--we just had a baby, and I was told I wouldn't have a 2nd job come the fall...ain't nobody thinkin' bout no romantic love--We Real Up In Here! (lol)
- Scheduled to be off from the school job, because had interviews set for am and pm
- 1st interview went ok. Didn't feel a real live connection, but went fairly well.
- 2nd interview was interesting because it was for two positions. One for an administrative role, the other for more of a role working directly with mental health people.
- Of course the 2nd role ended up being more of a fit. Interview was good, somewhat hard to read, but I think we both got a good feel for how we could work stuff out
- Feb 15th GranPa leaves
- Feb 15th Cousins arrives
- (mind you, still all her family)
- Cousin is cool, they go out with Fiance and the kids. My oldest shows who she is, but she's 1.75 years old...that's to be expected. Plus she's cute as all get out.
- Feb 16th we all head out to the kid restaurant that both Fiance and Cousin loved as kids, and of course we take our babies
- Note: I'm tired after working two jobs and having interviews all week, but suck it up and go out that afternoon with everyone before work
- We had a good time, but 1.75 got tired, and showed out a little bit. Looking back, there was some really good communication between Fiance and I, and some recognition too. So we made it through that Saturday.
- Feb 17th No extended relatives, just the immediate fam. No jobs to go to. We rested well.
- Feb19th Got word from the other school district. Got that job baby!! It's the one I really wanted of the three. The schedule is right, the kind of work is right, and the money is right.
So I go through this whole time-line to show, there has to be some understanding. There will be pitfalls, but there will also be joys. Some things will be missed, others made. There has to be balance. So in honor of time-lines and balance, I present to you some poetry (as if you wanted MORE to read) Enjoy this little piece, and enjoy perspective of balance.
There are some time-lines we find
to be extremely extraordinary.
Others be rough patches of reality.
We recognize enjoyment while
exit anger, block out negativity, & accept beauty.
All things do not occur at once,
your car will not break down
at the immediate moment
your scratch-off wins you $800,000.
Nor will you find
at your highest climax,
with your 37th sexual encounter.
(However, that shit might be bomb,
for about 73 minutes!)
Timelines follow universal order,
when disorder appears to
dominate your being.
Balance is a biah; but...
it, serves, purpose.
It. Serves. Purpose.
Try to remember that
when your well paying position,
with that high profile, billion dollar company,
texts you a pink slip,
while taking your morning constitutional
the day after your two year old
has received their
first set of stitches--
Timelines are tricky &
progressive. Always remember,
you are not where you were;
and things will occur to
propel you forward, or
Don't whine, remember
winning must be unwound from
barriers and obstacles and learning opportunities.
There is no progress without
the struggle in regress;
you time is not
a, fixed line.