Friday, July 20, 2018

Recovering Poet

This blog started because of boredom in a classroom full of middle school students who were "emotionally challenged".

I had crash landed in Denver, and gotten on my feet working jobs in the mental health and education fields.

Truth: I love working with kids who are UnderDogs!
UnderDogs have to Recover from some ish!

I wanted to re-work this blog, because the journey has turned, become a bit twisted, and is on quite the different path.  
  • For one, I'm fully on my feet
  • I have completed goals
    • Self-published one book
    • Had a second book published by an actual publisher
  • I'm no longer in that classroom, or middle school
    • But still working with UnderDog kids
    • Still working in the mental health field
  • I view myself differently
    • I am a father
    • I have to have a "boss/owner/expert" mentality  
    • God Ain't Done With Me Yet
So DoodleWithMyPoodle has to become more of a spring-board.  It's been that, but it needs to continue doing that, and in doing that, I wanted to class it up a bit with a logo.

So what about this tag-line: Recovering Poet??

I've come a long way.  Twenty-ish years ago I was a die-hard spoken word artist, performing nightly in clubs across the city of Atlanta.  I collaborated with other poets, I wrote constantly, I travelled and performed in different states, I was in the studio making albums! (about 6 to date).  

But I didn't get anywhere with it.

I overstand what Langston said about 'a dream deferred'.  

Twenty years later I haven't performed on a stage in over a year, I haven't travelled anywhere to perform in over three, however, I did post a somewhat silly spoken-word poem on Twitter & Instagram.  

So I'm recovering, adapting, changing.  It is has not been easy, and I doubt it will be.  

So the tagline Recovering Poet.  I am recovering from 20 years of failing to reach my pinnacle, and living off my art.  But I'm here, I'm still writing, and learning how to expand.  

I thank you for staying for the journey, and I look forward to continuing the joyous journey with you. 

There will still be poetry, 
there will still be writing, 
there will still be short stories.  
But there will be boundaries, and moderation as well.  

I must remember, I am more than just a writer, I am also responsible for lives.  

Give Thanks, see you soon, and thanks for the support!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment